The TTU-1200 package comes with the tracking unit with built in wiring harness and two additional screws for mounting.
Vehicle Placement of TTU-1200
- Place the unit where it will see as much sky as possible.
- Do not place under metal that will obstruct the view of the sky
- The TTU-1200 has an IP66 weather sealed enclosure and can be installed on the outside of the vehicle or trailer.
- GPS signals are very low power and any metal blockage can prevent it from getting good positions.
- The unit can be installed under wood, plastic or glass.
- For a covert installation, find a way to hide it in a plastic or wood container on the trailer, or in the cab under the dash.
Connecting Power, Ground, and optional Ignition
- The power input (red wire) must be connected to a constant (un-switched) +12 VDC or +24 VDC supply; preferably connected directly to the vehicle battery terminal or as close to it as possible. This connection point should be fuse protected to not more than 5 Amps.
- The ground line (black wire) must be connected to chassis ground.
- (Optional) The ignition input (white wire) is optional as the TTU-1200 is programmed to use motion only when it’s not connected. If you do connect this wire, it must be connected to the vehicle ignition or another appropriate key operated line, ensuring that power to the ignition wire is available only when the vehicle ignition is on.
Failure to connect these lines in the manner described may result in discharge of the vehicle battery.
For best results, it is strongly recommended that the LMU connection be on its own circuit. Connect the power input directly to the vehicle battery if possible and protect the circuit with an inline fuse. For trailers, connect power through the trailer plug so it receives power when the trailer is connected to the vehicle. If you must connect through the fuse box, use standard commercial wiring practices to create a permanent installation rather than using press-in fuse clips or other temporary measures.
Installation Check List
The following must be checked to declare a successful installation:
- Lights on the TTU-1200 – when the device is moving
- The Green LED light must be solid to show it has obtained a valid GPS fix.
- The Orange LED must be on solid to show it has successfully connected to the cellular network
The TTU-1200 will detect physical motion and report its position. After 2 minutes motionless, the device will go to sleep to preserve battery and the LEDs will turn off. The TTU-1200 will report a message daily when there’s no motion. The inputs will also trigger the TTU-1200 to wake up and send a message.